Losing excess weight is rarely an easy task. And while an appropriate diet and exercise plan is important, it only goes so far if you don’t address the behavioral aspects of your lifestyle as well. That’s where behavioral counseling comes in. By providing emotional support and expert guidance regarding your daily habits, this form of treatment can enhance your weight-loss process in multiple significant ways.
At Delta Medical Weight Management Center in Southaven, Mississippi, Dr. Ulric Duncan and his team provide effective medical weight-loss programs that include behavioral counseling to help you reach and stay within a healthy weight range.
What behavioral counseling entails
Behavioral counseling helps you effectively alter your eating and exercise habits to make them weight control friendly. Especially important for treating obesity, this form of care helps you:
- Change your environment to guard against overeating
- Cultivate enjoyable ways to eat healthier foods
- Find ways to better engage in safe, enjoyable exercise
- Pinpoint behaviors that may be interfering with weight control, such as poor sleeping habits or restaurant choices
- Set realistic weight-loss goals
- Track your food and fluid intake
- Stay on track by providing emotional support when behavioral changes feel challenging
Benefits of behavioral counseling for weight loss
When your behaviors are addressed and adjusted in ways that support healthy weight control, you won’t feel as challenged by efforts to lose added pounds or maintain weight loss. Rather than forcing yourself to eat healthfully, for example, eating appropriate portions of nutritious foods will gradually feel natural and habitual. And because enjoyment is a priority, you’ll also learn ways to make these behaviors more fun and satisfying, making the whole process feel less like “work.” As a result, you’ll be more likely to achieve success, both short-term and moving forward. Having the support of qualified professionals also enhances weight control by helping you stay motivated and supported, rather than feeling frustrated and alone.
Other components of medical weight loss
At Delta Medical Weight Management Center, we weave behavioral counseling into a customized, comprehensive program that’s unique to your individual needs and preferences. Other aspects of your program may include:
- Meal and menu planning
- Prescription weight-loss medication
- Orbera, an intragastric device that helps you feel fuller faster for six months
- Colon hydrotherapy, which removes waste that may make you feel sluggish
- Lipotropic and vitamin B-12 injections for energy and metabolism support
To learn more about behavioral counseling or to find out if you’re a good candidate for our medical weight-loss programs, call Delta Medical Weight Management Center or email us through our website. We would love to support you in your weight-control journey.